Cooking and baking for a person with Celiac Disease has required a lot of adjustments in the kitchen and modifications to recipes - some big changes, some very minor. More than eight long years of culinary tinkering has shown me that certain recipes have been easier to make gluten free than others.
My personal quest for the perfect gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe finally led me to the following recipe that is both delicious and reliable. It has been tested and retested, and my waistline will attest to the fact that it produces a soft, moist chocolate chip cookie that is so good, you wouldn't know it was gluten free.
The following recipe for gluten free chocolate chip cookies uses Pamela's Baking Mix as a substitute for a gluten free flour mix. Pamela’s Baking Mix is a little bit pricey, but when the cookies come out moist and delicious, and everything that you would expect from a chocolate chip cookie, you won’t care. Warm and gooey out of the oven with a glass of cold milk, you'll never miss having to go gluten free.
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg, large
- 1 ½ cups Pamela's Baking Mix
- 1 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat.
- Add Pamela's Baking Mix and mix thoroughly.
- Add chocolate chips and incorporate them fully.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Scoop dough in approximately 1 tbsp balls onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or just until top or edges turn light golden brown. It’s OK that they look a little underdone when you take them out of the oven, don’t worry they’re going to be perfect.
The next time you have a craving for cookies, I’d recommend this gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe. We use Pamela's Baking Mix for a number of different items, including these fantastic gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. This recipe requires a larger amount of lead time simply because refrigerating the dough at least overnight leads to the best cookie outcome.
As with any significant dietary change, going gluten-free has meant making a significant number of adjustments to our cooking and baking routine. Lucky for us now we can have delicious soft chocolate chip cookies that are identical to their gluten filled counterparts. Once you give this recipe a try you may never deviate from the gluten-free version.